“How to tell if you have bed bugs?”
This is a fairly common question – especially among people who tend to wake up with red, itchy and uncomfortable bites on most mornings. And considering that they are getting the bites while they are in bed, it is quite possible that bed bugs are behind the whole thing. But at the same time, it could also be other insects at fault. And how can you determine what is really the case? By checking for the tell-tale signs of a bed bug infestation:
1. The kind of insect bites you get
With any other insect that bites you while you are asleep, the bites are at random across your body and you’d usually have trouble finding any pattern in them. On the other hand, bed bugs usually always leave bites in a straight line. Also, the bites will usually be red and inflamed and will itch. They are also most commonly found on the shoulders and arms.
But in some cases, quite by chance, other insects could also leave similar symptoms. So this alone isn’t a sure shot way to determine the presence of bed bugs. As a result, let’s move on with the list.
2. Tell tale signs of the presence of the bugs
If you carefully inspect your bed, you will find tell tale signs of the presence of bed bugs in most cases, as long as it is a big enough infestation. And here are a few things to look out for:
- There tends to be red dried blood stains on the bed linen. This is usually your blood, and it has dried out.
- You could also see black stains on the bed or along the sides of the bed. This is the digested blood. After the bugs drink your blood, it is digested and then passed out as this black substance. Merely rubbing it will not remove these – but if you wipe them with a damp cloth, it would spread the matter.
- You may also look out for skin shed by the bed bugs.
- Eggs are another thing, though this you aren’t likely to find on the sheets, but rather in the hidden corners.
- Another thing, though rare, are dead bed bugs. They are flat creatures and very small in size. They do not have wings.
3. The bugs themselves
Another thing you can try to do to detect the presence of bed bugs is to check for live bugs. But this is a tricky affair. The bugs will never come out if they know you are looking for them. And except for their usual ‘hunting’ time – they will never come out.
The usual time is about an hour prior to dawn – this is when they come out. They can be out every night, or less frequently as well. In fact, if there aren’t too many bugs, they may only show once a week. When trying to detect the bugs, make sure you have a flashlight in hand. Set an alarm for the said time. And once you do wake up, make sure to move as little as possible. And just sear across the bed for the bugs. If you are lucky, you may actually spot them.
4. Finding them elsewhere
This is the other thing. If there are bed bugs in your linen, they’ll not always be at the same place. In fact, if there is a big enough infestation, chances are that a few are actually living on other pieces of furniture or upholstery or fabric that surround your bed. Here are the top places where beg bugs have been found:
- Inside and on your nightstand. Especially check the back that you do not access usually.
- Inside the drawers of the nightstand, especially in the corners.
- If there are crevices on your alarm clock or in any other device you have kept on the nightstand, then check here. This could include lampshades and lamps as well.
- If there are any picture frames in the vicinity – check inside the frame, behind it and in the corners.
- If there are electrical sockets near the bed, especially unused ones, bed bugs could be living inside!
- Cracks in your wall are another place where beg bug infestations happen.
- The area immediately around the baseboard may also contain some.
- And finally, the curtains, or the upholstery of any seat that is next to the bed may also be housing some of the infestation.
things you can plan to try out to get rid of the bugs now that you know how to tell if you have bed bugs. Bed bugs can be a huge bother. But with the right approach, it is a problem that you can easily deal with.
Incoming search terms:
- how do you know if you have bed bugs (7)
- how to tell if you have bed bugs (7)
- how do i know if i have bed bugs (4)
- bedbugs (2)
- how to tell if you have bed bugs bites (2)
- bed bug bites images (1)
- bed bugsbites (1)
- how to know if you have bed bug bites (1)