Confused on what kind of bug is haunting your household? It is important to carefully figure out what kind of bug bite you and your family members have so, you will know precisely who to call. When confused on bed bug bites vs mosquito bites, it is important not to jump to unfounded conclusions. Just because you started having red welts after a camping trip does not necessarily mean it’s a mosquito bite. Or just because you wake up with all those red bumps on your hands and legs does not mean your home is infested with bed bugs.
Distinguishing between beg bug bites vs mosquito bites can truly be tough as these bite marks can often look too similar. To ensure that you correctly unmask the culprit, it is important to know some basic concepts.
Mosquito bites manifest as super-itchy round, red or pink stub on the skin. Usually, they can be found on body parts not normally covered with clothing like the hands, arms, legs, face, and back of the neck—and can be had any time of the day. To some, these bumps can be harmless and can easily go away with calamine lotion. However, some mosquito bites leave more than just a bite mark. Year after year, they leave thousands with serious illnesses like Malaria, Dengue fever, West Nile virus, encephalitis, meningitis, and so on.
When bitten by mosquitoes, always check for other underlying symptoms. It could be a stiff neck, a severe headache, fever, body malaise, disorientation, flu-like symptoms, and convulsions. When any of these happen, always have yourself get checked by a physician right away.
Bed Bug Bites
Unlike the stinging effect of mosquito bites, bed bug bites can be painless. Rows of red welts appear on the skin regardless whether covered with clothing or not. Those inflamed and intensely itchy bumps can appear at the back, on the crotch, inside of the legs, the arms, and well, basically everywhere where blood flows. Like mosquitoes, these pesky bugs also feed on a person’s blood and often, do it nocturnally.
Primarily harmless, some people develop mild or severe allergic reaction to bed bug bites resulting into inflamed and highly intense itching. Some may even result into hives, blisters, fever, swollen tongue, irregular heartbeat, infection due to too much scratching, fever, and difficulty in breathing. When this happens, immediate trip to a healthcare provider is necessary. The good thing though is that bed bug bites do not carry life threatening diseases with them. Too much exposure to bed bugs, however, can result in life threatening anemia.
To give you a clearer perspective between bed bug bites vs mosquito bites, here’s a comparison chart:
Bed Bug Bites
|Can bite skin covered by clothes||Can’t bite areas covered with clothing|
|Bites are clumped or in a row||Bites are random, isolated|
|Bites can take 1-2 days to get itchy||Bites get itchy right away|
|Bites can go away on its own||Bites go away faster than bed bugs|
|Bites can cause intense allergic reactions but cannot transmit diseases||Bites can carry life threatening diseases|
Like everything else, prevention is always better than cure when it comes to both bed bugs and mosquitoes. To evade such gruesome bites, here are ways how.
Bed Bug Bites
Reduce the risk of bringing home these pesky bugs by taking the necessary precautions:
- when traveling, check hotel bed and furniture as well as mattresses and linens upon check in
- when traveling, place luggage in a rack preferably outside the room and away from bed or any furniture
- ditch pre-loved beds and furniture (bed bugs do live for a year without feeding)
- when suspicious, place bed bug traps on the feet of all furniture
Do you know that mosquitoes also have a sense of quirkiness? Or that your blood type and metabolism might be the culprit why mosquitoes love pricking you to bits? Or that pregnant women are prone to bites than the rest? Since you cannot alter your genes, here are some pointers on how to counter mosquitoes before they bite.
- eliminate stagnant water within your home and surroundings
- plant citronella, lemon eucalyptus, basil, catmint, eucalyptus, lavender, wormwood in your surroundings and trim them regularly to emit smell hated by mosquitoes (check here for the list)
- dress in light colors
- use anti-mosquito lotion when out and about, preferably DEET-free
- when traveling or camping, a mosquito net can come handy
- use eco-friendly plant-based repellents
- place electric bug repellent in certain areas of your home
- carry a THERMAcell repellent when out in the yard
Distinguishing the characteristics between bed bug bites and mosquito bites is just the first step. Eliminating mosquitoes can actually be done by thoroughly cleaning your home and surroundings. Getting rid of standing water sources and improving your yard’s landscape can help ward them away. When it comes to bed bug infestations however, extra attention must be given. Bed bugs can multiply overnight making your whole home a moving feast. If infestation has become prevalent in most areas of your abode, call professionals right away.
Incoming search terms:
- bed bug bites (45)
- bed bug bites vs mosquito bites (37)
- mosquito bites vs bed bug bites (34)
- bed bug vs mosquito bites (10)
- mosquito bite (8)
- bed bug bite vs mosquito bite (6)
- mosquito bites vs bed bugs (6)
- bug bites (6)
- difference between bed bug bites and mosquito bites (5)
- mosquito vs bed bug bites (4)
- mosquito or bed bug bite (3)
- bed bug vs mosquito bite (3)
- mosquito bite bed bug bite difference (3)
- difference between mosquito bites and bed bug bites (3)
- dengue mosquito vs normal mosquito (2)
- difference between bed bugs and mosquitoes (2)
- mosquito bite vs bed bugs (2)
- mosquito or bed bug bites (2)
- masqtos bites vers bed bug bites (2)
- mosite bites vs bed bugs (1)